Saturday, September 22, 2012

Feeling Expensive

Diabetes is an expensive habit.  We spend 1/4-1/3 of our income on health related care every year so that I can maintin the lifestyle to which I have come accustomed.

I keep reminding myself (and my husband does too) that my health is worth it.

When bills arrive for trying to more tightly control my diabetes (seeing my Doctor more than the covered amount per year) or when restrictions are enforced that only cover testing my blood sugar 6 times a day (when I actually test 10) I get frustrated.  But then I realize that I spend way more on my health than I actually pay for - because when I meet our deductible, my supplies are covered 100%.  I may get $3,000 worth of supplies for "free" (after spending two and half times that to get there) because we have health insurance.

I am so thankful when suppliers of test strips, and pump supplies "get this".  I have companies that help me figure out how to get the most bang for my diabetic dollar.  To make the most out of the remaining billable year and squeeze in one more shipment before the dance of insurance claims and benefits starts anew on January 1st.

It makes meeting my deductible a little more enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment