Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year - what a difference a letter makes.



It is the grand New Year's tradition to decide what you want to achieve in the upcoming year. 

Sure, I have set goals (read: said lofty things in honor of tradition), and put forth half a heart to succeed, but I really just expected failure.  

When the imminent derailment arrives (hello?! - I'm human!), I throw my hands in the air, wave the white flag, and wait another 362 days until the next fresh start.

What a difference a letter makes.

reS·o·lu·tion

[rez-uh-loo-shuh n] 
noun
1. a formal expression of opinion or intention made, usually after voting, by a formal organization, a legislature, a club, or other group. Compare concurrent resolution, joint resolution.
2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
3. the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
4. the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.
5. the act or process of resolving or separating into constituent or elementary parts.
 
reV·o·lu·tion
 
[rev-uh-loo-shuh n]
noun
1. an overthrow or repudiation and the thorough replacement of an established government or political system by the people governed.
2. Sociology. a radical and pervasive change in society and the social structure, especially one made suddenly and often accompanied by violence. Compare social evolution.
3. a sudden, complete or marked change in something: the present revolution in church architecture.
4. a procedure or course, as if in a circuit, back to a starting point.
5. a single turn of this kind.
  

Resolutions?  ugh.  How 'bout a revolution!? Could it be that my reSolutions have lacked planning and determination? Has my "firmness of purpose" lacked passion and a vicious overthrowing of anything that gets in the way?

Not this year, my friend.  I have reconfigured my workout room, set a weekly schedule of possible workouts, set weekday and weekend schedules, and articulated specific goals for my mind, body, and soul. I have set in place times for rest and rejuvenation on a daily and weekly basis. I. want. change.

But most importantly, I have already set a standard of grace.  The schedules are to provide guidance and structure and will act as suggestions when I am too tired to decide what to do.  But when the day comes (and it WILL come) when my schedule gets knocked out of whack, I will not lose my resolve, but I will continue on with dogged determination.  Knowing that what I want to do, nay, what I need to do, will benefit me (and the person who lives with me) in the long run, I will persist. 

May you allow grace to lead you to live a life of discipline and grace. 


Here's to the new year - viva la revolucion!

No comments:

Post a Comment