Monday, May 13, 2013

4th Annual Diabetes Blog Week - Share and Don't Share

Often our health care team only sees us for about 15 minutes several times a year, and they might not have a sense of what our lives are really like. Today, let’s pretend our medical team is reading our blogs. What do you wish they could see about your and/or your loved one's daily life with diabetes? On the other hand, what do you hope they don't see? 


Dear Team,

I must say I was pleasantly surprised the first time my A1c came back and it was on the high side (technically referred to as "non-compliant" in some circles).  I wasn't pleasantly surprised by the number, but by your reaction. Thank you for not berating me. As a perfectionist who is tainted with a hearty fear of failure, I am already a pro at "not feeling good enough".  Your question of "what do you think caused this?" did not get my defenses up, but allowed my honesty to peek through.

Thank you for all the times you have prayed with me when I have panicked at a possible complication or was drowning in burnout.  Your compassion has always spoken volumes to me.

I appreciate you too, nurses.  You have hugged me after news of a miscarriage, and hoped with me for the future.  Every one of you know that I HATE having my blood drawn, and so your conversations of holidays and favorite foods, of work and weather have been a calculated and effective distraction.

You have made going for a check-up, blood work, or follow-up appointment much more agreeable and enjoyable for a disease that can be so overwhelming and tedious.

Thank you.


P.S.  Right after I leave your office after my A1c is drawn, I go for a cheeseburger and fries and I will never tell you that.

No comments:

Post a Comment