Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Celebrating 10 Years of Early Retirement (or "Cheers to you, my Underacheiving Friend")


Ten years ago today, I officially found out that the D was in me.

I have learned a ton of things about life, love, faith, and biology.  Here's my list of the "Top Ten Things I am Thankful For":


10.  "Sugar-free" isn't as bad as it used to be.

9.  That my dislike of needles has not been scared away by a constant poking of my flesh. (Enter *sarcasm* here.)

8.  Laughter: this is hilarious (and addresses an ongoing debate that may go on forever).

7.  Family and friends that have read as many nutritional labels as I have.

6.  That I am finally using all that math I learned in school to calculate carbs, insulin doses, and basal rate adjustments.

5.  That I can rock a medical device tanline, like a boss.

4.  That, after 10 years of not doing this perfectly, the rest of my body is still working reasonably well, and the in-fighting has seemed to cease.

3.  That, yes, I DO know how much sugar is in that, and yes, I CAN eat it!

2.  I am thankful that on the day I was diagnosed I didn't know how complicated my life with diabetes would actually be.

1.  I am thankful that although I have spent the last 10 years, trying to "control" my diabetes, it doesn't control me.

No comments:

Post a Comment