Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Celebrating 10 Years of Early Retirement (or "Cheers to you, my Underacheiving Friend")
Ten years ago today, I officially found out that the D was in me.
I have learned a ton of things about life, love, faith, and biology. Here's my list of the "Top Ten Things I am Thankful For":
10. "Sugar-free" isn't as bad as it used to be.
9. That my dislike of needles has not been scared away by a constant poking of my flesh. (Enter *sarcasm* here.)
8. Laughter: this is hilarious (and addresses an ongoing debate that may go on forever).
7. Family and friends that have read as many nutritional labels as I have.
6. That I am finally using all that math I learned in school to calculate carbs, insulin doses, and basal rate adjustments.
5. That I can rock a medical device tanline, like a boss.
4. That, after 10 years of not doing this perfectly, the rest of my body is still working reasonably well, and the in-fighting has seemed to cease.
3. That, yes, I DO know how much sugar is in that, and yes, I CAN eat it!
2. I am thankful that on the day I was diagnosed I didn't know how complicated my life with diabetes would actually be.
1. I am thankful that although I have spent the last 10 years, trying to "control" my diabetes, it doesn't control me.