Thursday, March 21, 2013

It's Not You, It's Me.

I knew my Ping's warranty was going to expire in February - but with a family vacation on the horizon and a busy season overall, I put off the decision until March.

I don't know about you - but when it comes to choosing a life-sustaining, ridiculously expensive device, I research extensively and am deeply loyal to the companies that I choose to partner with. After all, I am relying on their product to trudge through this mess with me 24/7. 

I had done my due diligence in researching what was on the market and what was available to me, and I had made a decision that I was totally confident in.  But when the rep from Animas called to follow up on my expired warranty, there was a pit in my stomach.

"Hi," super cheery rep said, "I just called to follow up on your pump warranty.  I see that it's expired, and wondered if we could answer any questions you have or get a new one shipped out to you."

"Well, oh gosh, I dunno how to say this.  It's just that, IthinkIamgoingwiththeTandem."

"Oh, . . ."

I felt like we were breaking up. The apologies and rationalizations began pouring out.

"Four years ago I chose the Ping because you were the clear leader as far as innovation went - and I have even still recommended it to a friend who is newly diagnosed.  I love the Ping, but I don't use the features - like the waterproof and the remote as much as I am looking forward to having the IOB on the home screen.  I mean they have a 30 day trial - so I am just going to try it out."  I really felt like I should say - 'it's not you, it's me'.

"Did you know we are coming out with the Vibe and we are currently working on an upgrade program."

"Yeah, I saw that the battery life would be about 3 weeks - and I kinda like having a receiver that I can sit on my desk or music stand".

I asked a few more questions and she told me that if I had any recommendations to please let them know.

And just like that - our relationship was over. 

But when that Tandem box arrived at work I knew I had made the right decision.  In fact I had to move it to a coworker's cubicle so I would stop looking at it.




Here's to a new relationship with a new partner in crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment